Chimney fire destroys Merrimack house
MERRIMACK — Firefighters battled a fire on the Daniel Webster Highway in Merrimack Sunday afternoon.
The call for a chimney fire at 496 Daniel Webster Highway first came in around 4:50 p.m., according to Merrimack fire dispatchers. Heavy fire was seen coming from two sides of a single-story wood frame dwelling, located next to an auto body shop at 498 Daniel Webster Highway. All the occupants of the home were reported out of the structure and accounted for.
Mutual aid was called in from Nashua, and station coverage was provided by Manchester and Amherst fire crews. The fire was reported knocked down around 5:21 p.m., and all units were cleared from the scene at 7 p.m.
There were no injuries. A cause of the blaze was determined to be a chimney fire that spread into the rest of the home.
The structure was deemed uninhabitable, and Merrimack fire officials reported the homeowners were prepared to stay Sunday night with relatives.
Merrimack police reported that the Daniel Webster Highway was closed between Wire and McGaw Bridge roads due to the fire response. Motorists were urged to avoid the area for several hours, with Wire and McGaw Bridge roads being used as detours.