Home » Opinion » Editorials
Gambling and gasoline: Highway head should butt out
But the proposed legislation would not only hike the tax, it would then avoid any further legislative votes by "indexing'' the tax to a consumer price index.
Meanwhile, Clement's claim that he needs even more new money than a gas tax hike would give him was challenged by state Senate President Chuck Morse, who noted the significant growth in Department of Transportation spending in recent years.
Clement's reply was that a lot of this was "federal'' money and a lot for one-time projects.
At the gas tax hearing, state Sen. Bob Odell rightly tried to keep the focus on the gas tax. But Clement chimed in that, "We need both,'' the increase and a casino.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hollis officials seek to protect conservation lands from pipeline project - 0
- Funding for Berlin wind farm up for council hearing Wednesday - 1
- City landfill could host state’s largest solar farm - 5
- Plans for Manchester solar array project move forward - 0
- Utilities offer tips to help fight high winter energy costs - 0
- Bracing for the heating season throughout New Hampshire - 1
- Firewood scarcity driven by demand throughout NH - 2
- Hopkinton wood program is neighbor to neighbor - 0
- Fire marshal OKs Groton Wind operations after deeming facility safe - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: St. Thomas coach: I owe Central - 0
- Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison - 0
- 'Bingo hunting' police use random license plate checks to make arrest - 0
- Bedford police investigating burglary at Verizon Wireless store - 0
- Police: Manchester man charged with endangering child after going 101 mph - 0
- FairPoint customer concerned about blocked emails - 0
- Plaistow narrows field in search for its new police chief - 0
- Man faces robbery, assault charges after extradition from NY - 0
- Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs - 0
Dartmouth women skaters beat Union
NH Audubon's Rare Bird Alert
Hockey brought them together; Hooksett ice rink will serve as NH couple's 'church' for wedding
Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison
Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs