Home » Opinion » Editorials
Gambling and gasoline: Highway head should butt out
But the proposed legislation would not only hike the tax, it would then avoid any further legislative votes by "indexing'' the tax to a consumer price index.
Meanwhile, Clement's claim that he needs even more new money than a gas tax hike would give him was challenged by state Senate President Chuck Morse, who noted the significant growth in Department of Transportation spending in recent years.
Clement's reply was that a lot of this was "federal'' money and a lot for one-time projects.
At the gas tax hearing, state Sen. Bob Odell rightly tried to keep the focus on the gas tax. But Clement chimed in that, "We need both,'' the increase and a casino.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pipeline protest in Fitzwilliam - 0
- Poll shows Groton voters oppose new wind plants - 2
- Opposition lines up against new Alexandria wind plant proposal - 1
- PSNH's rate request puts it lower than competitors, a reversal from last year - 6
- Pipeline meeting in Mason draws big crowd - 0
- Kinder Morgan reveals route for pipeline at Milford meeting - 1
- Nature vs. man: Keeping the lights on - 1
- Pipeline pushback seen in NH - 7
- Meeting will inform Mason residents about proposed pipeline - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads