Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Frustrations aside, my thanks, plow guys
I will admit that at least once this winter I have halted my shoveling in order to shake my fist and yell to the cold, night skies, "Mayor Gatsas, tear down this wall!"
What was the name of that storm, by the way? I think it might have been "Dave." Some bright bulb in the weather department has started naming snow storms as if they were hurricanes. This is all silliness and is yet another attempt to pump up the weather news ratings on TV.
"Stormwatch Zero interrupts your regularly-scheduled boredom to bring you this weather bulletin. Tomorrow's weather has been officially named Bambi. Bambi is expected to bring partly-cloudy skies and a slight breeze. She is also packing a six on the UV sun index."
Back to the snowplows, I was coming home from work the other night, anticipating another Great Wall, when I had to stop for a city plow. It was backing up and then carving out, as best it could, a huge snow bank blocking a corner of a busy intersection.
So suck it up, McQuaid, I thought to myself. I waited for the plow to finish its carving and then drove on. I was tempted to stop to tell the driver thanks for his work, but that would have just slowed him down, and possibly startled him. So I'll say it now. Thanks, guys. Keep up the good work.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Syracuse, Iowa crowned top party schools - 0
- Parking fines cause disputes, raise revenues - 1
- Jon Cavaiani dies at 70; desperate stand in '71 led to Medal of Honor - 0
- Meriam Ibrahim, family welcomed as long journey ends in Manchester - 2
- Moose International files suit to claim Claremont lodge - 0
- NH man's wife flies to Rome, meets Pope Francis after giving birth on death row in Sudan - 2
- Manchester postpones Fourth of July celebration - 0
- Reports say Sudanese Christian woman released; Manchester relative hopeful - 0
- 'Cadillac' health tax costs draw big worry - 13
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test