Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Frustrations aside, my thanks, plow guys
I will admit that at least once this winter I have halted my shoveling in order to shake my fist and yell to the cold, night skies, "Mayor Gatsas, tear down this wall!"
What was the name of that storm, by the way? I think it might have been "Dave." Some bright bulb in the weather department has started naming snow storms as if they were hurricanes. This is all silliness and is yet another attempt to pump up the weather news ratings on TV.
"Stormwatch Zero interrupts your regularly-scheduled boredom to bring you this weather bulletin. Tomorrow's weather has been officially named Bambi. Bambi is expected to bring partly-cloudy skies and a slight breeze. She is also packing a six on the UV sun index."
Back to the snowplows, I was coming home from work the other night, anticipating another Great Wall, when I had to stop for a city plow. It was backing up and then carving out, as best it could, a huge snow bank blocking a corner of a busy intersection.
So suck it up, McQuaid, I thought to myself. I waited for the plow to finish its carving and then drove on. I was tempted to stop to tell the driver thanks for his work, but that would have just slowed him down, and possibly startled him. So I'll say it now. Thanks, guys. Keep up the good work.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- U.S. says Islamic State video of journalist's killing is authentic - 0
- No paper on Monday; check UnionLeader.com for updated, breaking news - 0
- Concord attorney Leahy dies - 0
- Robin Williams’ ashes are scattered in San Francisco Bay - 0
- Syracuse, Iowa crowned top party schools - 0
- Parking fines cause disputes, raise revenues - 1
- Jon Cavaiani dies at 70; desperate stand in '71 led to Medal of Honor - 0
- Meriam Ibrahim, family welcomed as long journey ends in Manchester - 2
- Moose International files suit to claim Claremont lodge - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster, Shea-Porter split on vote to arm Syrian rebels - 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition at Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 in Rochester - 0
- Rochester 10-year-old, grandmother escape fire in home with no smoke detectors - 0
- Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester - 0
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 3
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Havenstein says Christie backing a 'boost'