Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Frustrations aside, my thanks, plow guys
I will admit that at least once this winter I have halted my shoveling in order to shake my fist and yell to the cold, night skies, "Mayor Gatsas, tear down this wall!"
What was the name of that storm, by the way? I think it might have been "Dave." Some bright bulb in the weather department has started naming snow storms as if they were hurricanes. This is all silliness and is yet another attempt to pump up the weather news ratings on TV.
"Stormwatch Zero interrupts your regularly-scheduled boredom to bring you this weather bulletin. Tomorrow's weather has been officially named Bambi. Bambi is expected to bring partly-cloudy skies and a slight breeze. She is also packing a six on the UV sun index."
Back to the snowplows, I was coming home from work the other night, anticipating another Great Wall, when I had to stop for a city plow. It was backing up and then carving out, as best it could, a huge snow bank blocking a corner of a busy intersection.
So suck it up, McQuaid, I thought to myself. I waited for the plow to finish its carving and then drove on. I was tempted to stop to tell the driver thanks for his work, but that would have just slowed him down, and possibly startled him. So I'll say it now. Thanks, guys. Keep up the good work.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Reports say Sudanese Christian woman released; Manchester relative hopeful - 0
- 'Cadillac' health tax costs draw big worry - 13
- Wastewater lagoon blamed for Exit 4 odor - 0
- Author and poet Maya Angelou dies at 86 - 0
- After controversy, retired NH superior court judge fights for kudos - 4
- Road to be closed for fallen Brentwood officer's procession - 0
- Brentwood Officer Arkell's death adds fresh pain to somber law enforcement memorial ceremony - 1
- Conference participants take on climate change planning - 1
- NH agencies see growing needs for seniors - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
When company comes, opt for variety
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride