Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Frustrations aside, my thanks, plow guys
I will admit that at least once this winter I have halted my shoveling in order to shake my fist and yell to the cold, night skies, "Mayor Gatsas, tear down this wall!"
What was the name of that storm, by the way? I think it might have been "Dave." Some bright bulb in the weather department has started naming snow storms as if they were hurricanes. This is all silliness and is yet another attempt to pump up the weather news ratings on TV.
"Stormwatch Zero interrupts your regularly-scheduled boredom to bring you this weather bulletin. Tomorrow's weather has been officially named Bambi. Bambi is expected to bring partly-cloudy skies and a slight breeze. She is also packing a six on the UV sun index."
Back to the snowplows, I was coming home from work the other night, anticipating another Great Wall, when I had to stop for a city plow. It was backing up and then carving out, as best it could, a huge snow bank blocking a corner of a busy intersection.
So suck it up, McQuaid, I thought to myself. I waited for the plow to finish its carving and then drove on. I was tempted to stop to tell the driver thanks for his work, but that would have just slowed him down, and possibly startled him. So I'll say it now. Thanks, guys. Keep up the good work.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Frustrations aside, my thanks, plow guys - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Lot in a name, so we want to get them right - 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Any meaning to groundhog predictions? - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Glad to get emails; well, one of 'em, anyway - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Strange stories? This one takes the cake - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Bank, with our help, putting kids in action - 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Despite size, UNH a whirlwind of activity - 2
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Smaug? Desolation? Movie offers plenty of time to think (about something else) - 3
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A momentous year for these newspapers - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
- Manchester’s Slebodnick stars in Cornell’s title win - 0
- NHIAA Girls’ Div. I final four offers intriguing matchups - 0
- Goffstown voters have lots to consider with schools - 0
- With snow budget depleted, Nashua dips into trust fund - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: Graffiti charge keeps teen’s bail from changing - 0
- Police union contract a top concern for Bedford voters - 0
- Proposed school budget creates stir in Allenstown - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus
Dover man found not guilty of sex assault but convicted of drugging three women in Portsmouth