Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Sep 18, 2014
Trial’s on in case of Vt. cruiser crushing
Two of the Orleans County, Vt., Sheriff's Department cruisers police say Roger Pion destroyed in August 2012. (COURTESY)
When Pion, who’s had extensive dealings with Vermont police over the years, was finished, the destroyed vehicles and their contents were as flat as if they’d been run through a car crusher.
After a mental-health evaluation, a judge declared Pion incompetent to stand trial on more than a dozen charges against him in connection with the destructive rampage, most of them felony-level counts of unlawful mischief.
His new attorney, Chandler Matson of Stowe, Vt., said last week Pion is tentatively scheduled for trial in May in Orleans County Superior Court in Newport, Vt.
When officers inside the sheriff’s department at the time became aware of what Pion was allegedly doing outside, they ran to the parking lot where they spotted the wreckage and saw Pion slowly driving away. With their vehicles flattened, they chased the tractor on foot. Newport City Police joined the pursuit, and Pion was apprehended a short time later.
However, Pion became a folk hero of sorts, with an online fund drive netting him the $10,000 cash portion he needed to make bail.Orleans County Sheriff Kirk Martin did not return a message left for him Friday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Judge hikes bail in sex assault, child porn case - 0
- Judge declines to order mistrial in Derry sex assault case - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Police say homeless man stole car, struck pedestrian - 0
- Police investigating pizza store burglary in Plaistow - 0
- Salem police searching for Dunkin Donuts robber who wore Obama Halloween mask - 2
- Information sought in Keene hair salon burglary attempt - 0
- Two men arrested in Nashua armed robbery - 0
- Elderly Dover woman victim of paving scam, police say - 1
- Man charged with sex assault, sticking woman with hypodermic needle - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- School's out for voters - 0
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 6
- Brown, Shaheen run hardest where support is deepest - 0
- Jonathan E. Benedict - 0
- Drew Cline: GOP missed opportunities could mean trouble on Tuesday - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Demaryius Thomas is x-factor for Broncos' offense - 1
- College Football: Big Green ready for tussle with Harvard - 0
- UNH Notebook: Albany is much improved - 0
- MVP Bumgarner rides to the rescue for Giants' third World Series win in five years - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483