Jul 24, 2014
Jul 16, 2014
Jul 10, 2014
Jun 26, 2014
Trial’s on in case of Vt. cruiser crushing
Two of the Orleans County, Vt., Sheriff's Department cruisers police say Roger Pion destroyed in August 2012. (COURTESY)
When Pion, who’s had extensive dealings with Vermont police over the years, was finished, the destroyed vehicles and their contents were as flat as if they’d been run through a car crusher.
After a mental-health evaluation, a judge declared Pion incompetent to stand trial on more than a dozen charges against him in connection with the destructive rampage, most of them felony-level counts of unlawful mischief.
His new attorney, Chandler Matson of Stowe, Vt., said last week Pion is tentatively scheduled for trial in May in Orleans County Superior Court in Newport, Vt.
When officers inside the sheriff’s department at the time became aware of what Pion was allegedly doing outside, they ran to the parking lot where they spotted the wreckage and saw Pion slowly driving away. With their vehicles flattened, they chased the tractor on foot. Newport City Police joined the pursuit, and Pion was apprehended a short time later.
However, Pion became a folk hero of sorts, with an online fund drive netting him the $10,000 cash portion he needed to make bail.Orleans County Sheriff Kirk Martin did not return a message left for him Friday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: City man accused of menacing woman, assaulting teen - 0
- Dover man sought in Rochester shooting - 1
- Convicted sex offender faces porn charges - 1
- Lawyer takes stand in his own defense at sex assault trial - 0
- Supporters are now 'Abby Strong' - 2
- Judge orders Rolfe to spend 5 years in state hospital - 0
- Trial involving former Derry town administrator delayed - 0
- Months later, cause of Canterbury logger's death remains a mystery - 0
- Derry woman arrested after police pursuit - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Patriots Notebook: Physical Browner brings it - 0
- Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse - 4
- City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us - 1
- Punch line: The NFL blows it - 1
- George Will: A conservative internationalism - 0
- Sox Beat: Red Sox haven't made a deal for Lester — yet - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: The Democrats' cynical impeachment play - 0
- Drew Cline: Home is where the really competent governing is done - 1
- Two GOP heavyweights try to get NH fired up about 2014 elections - 0
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us
Punch line: The NFL blows it
Havenstein says he has always opposed Obamacare, though company he led was paid to implement parts of it
George Will: A conservative internationalism
- Total Votes: 917