Jul 24, 2014
Jul 16, 2014
Jul 10, 2014
Jun 26, 2014
Hampton man waives arraignment on new first-degree murder charge
Peter Bartoloni was indicted on counts of first- and second-degree murder for striking Robert Roderick, 56, repeatedly in the head with a sledgehammer on Oct. 3.
The new first-degree murder charge means Bartoloni, who has a history of sex offense convictions dating back to the 1980s, now faces the prospect of life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Police had previously charged him with second-degree murder and failure to register as a sex offender.
Bartoloni is being held without bail at the Rockingham County jail in Brentwood pending his next court hearing in April.
A grand jury indicted Bartoloni on the two murder charges earlier this month in Rockingham County Superior Court.
Public defenders waived Bartoloni's first court appearance before Judge Marguerite Wageling last week.
An autopsy concluded that Roderick died due to blunt impact trauma to the head. His body was discovered by another roommate living in the home, according to police.
One indictment alleges that Bartoloni acted with a purpose to kill Roderick by striking him in the head with the sledgehammer, the other alleges that Bartoloni acted recklessly with extreme indifference to human life.
Few details have been made public about the alleged motive or events leading up to Roderick's death.
A circuit court judge recently issued an order saying that arrest warrant affidavits could be unsealed once Bartoloni is indicted in superior court.
Bartoloni has a history of sex offenses dating back to at least 1980, according to court records. He was convicted of rape in Massachusetts in 1990, and also committed another sex offense in December 1980. Bartoloni was registered as a sex offender living in Lowell, Mass., at the time of his arrest.
He allegedly told police at the time that he had been living in Hampton Beach for roughly five months.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bath man, 73, charged with sexual assault of child - 0
- Two Derry residents charged with burglarizing home - 0
- 4 charged with digging up corpse of NH businessman - 0
- Former Manchester restaurateur convicted of sexual assault - 0
- Check scheme leads to arrests in Nashua - 0
- Nashua police warn of phone scam involving IRS claims - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Three arrested on drug charges after police search apartment - 3
- Seabrook fires two officers for Bergeron brutality - 7
- Former Claremont PTO member arrested for theft - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 1
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 3
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 2
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Cheshire Historical Society receives nearly $1 million - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket
Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917