Six NH Air National Guardsmen off to Kuwait for 6 months
National Guardsman Mike Chisholm of Manchester, facing camera, hugs National Guard Fire Chief William Hardekopf before deploying to Kuwait with five other New Hampshire National Guard firefighters at Manchester-Boston Regional Airport on Monday. (DAVID LANE/UNION LEADER)
The six are members of the 157th Civil Engineering Squadron stationed at Pease Air National Guard Base in Newington. New Hampshire National Guard spokesman Lt. Col. Greg Heilshorn said they are the last of 13 guardsmen deployed to Kuwait for six-month stints.
"They are going to be doing their job in a military capacity in other locations," said William Hardekopf, fire chief at the New Hampshire Air National Guard Base.
The six departed Manchester-Boston Regional Airport for Norfolk, Va., and are due to arrive in Kuwait by Wednesday, squadron commander Lt. Col. Eugene R. Mossoni said.
"He has been wanting to do it since he was eight years old. He has always been into fire-fighting or rescues or helping people who have been very ill in different places," Martin's father, Herb, said.
When he returns from Kuwait, he plans to take a fire-fighting test with larger city fire departments such as Manchester, Concord or Boston, Mass., or with the Air National Guard's fire force, his father said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Crowley elected in Northfield - 0
- Allenstown rejects town and school budgets - 0
- Broome elected selectman in Alexandria - 0
- Brentwood narrowly rejects SB2 - 0
- Cryans defeats Kenney by a wide margin in Lyme - 0
- Kingston voters approve tax bill deduction for prompt payment - 0
- Huntoon elected selectman in Wilmot - 0
- Thornton voters approve zoning amendments, decide three contested races - 0
- Lagueux wins in Bristol by five votes - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Excess school money may target crowded classes in Manchester - 0
- Nashua board members apologize for signingCommon Core letter - 0
- Sen. Shaheen participates in all-night climate change ‘talkathon’ - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs' Derek Forbort in the right place at the right time - 0
- Educators, advocates speak to new standards for use of force - 0
- Two Manchester health clinics working on merger plan - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: City woman connected to fatal crash in court again - 0
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
- VFW still eyeing old Crown Hill fire station in Nashua for new home - 0
Allenstown rejects town and school budgets
Crowley elected in Northfield
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'