Home » News » Public Safety
Freight train fire under investigation in Newfields
The fire was reported around 9:30 p.m. and appears to have started in a utility compartment in the engine, said Officer Guy Philbrook.
The engine and a single boxcar from Maine Central Railroad Co. were sitting on a spur track about 100 feet south of the Route 108 railroad bridge between Newfields and Newmarket. A spur is a small inactive side track that connects to the main tracks.
Philbrook said the train was idling at the time, but it was unoccupied. He said it's not uncommon for trains to be parked and left running overnight.
The fire didn't ignite fuel on the train, he said.
"It just engulfed the engineer's compartment from below," Philbrook said.
Firefighters cleared the scene shortly after 11 p.m.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
- Commission honors seven for contributions to state firefighter training - 0
- Lost hikers found safe in Gilsum - 1
- Woman thrown from horse, injured - 0
- Stove ash blamed for Manchester garage fire - 0
- Derry Battalion Chief calls firefighter son a 'hero' for rescuing two boys from Hood Pond - 1
- Epsom trucker, 65, killed in I-93 crash in Salem - 0
- Two taken to hospital after suffering burns in Wolfeboro house fire - 0
- Crews on scene of accident on I-93 in Salem - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 0
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 0
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 0
- Unrest erupts after grand jury decides against charges in Ferguson, Mo., shooting - 1
- Malkin, Crosby foil Bruins in overtime - 0
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Randy Johnson, Pedro, Smoltz lead HOF ballot
Tough task for NH budget writers
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Teacher 'thrilled' at being reinstated
Paul, Christie share lead in primary poll
Right to Life sues over NH clinic records