Home » News » Public Safety
Officials seek answers to fire on idle locomotive in Newfields
Mechanics inspect a train on tracks near the Route 108 bridge in Newfields Wednesday after it was damaged by a fire Tuesday night. JASON SCHREIBER
The fire broke out around 9:30 p.m. in a utility compartment in the engine and caused extensive smoke and fire damage, Police Officer Guy Philbrook said.
"Our machinists and mechanical people are very talented and well-trained. They come in and inspect and will find out the cause," she said.
"It just engulfed the engineer's compartment from below," Philbrook said.
It's not uncommon for engines to be left running overnight. Scarano said locomotives don't have antifreeze in the diesel engines and that they have to stay running to keep them warm.
Firefighters cleared the scene shortly after 11 p.m.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 38
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads