Home » News » Public Safety
Officials seek answers to fire on idle locomotive in Newfields
Mechanics inspect a train on tracks near the Route 108 bridge in Newfields Wednesday after it was damaged by a fire Tuesday night. JASON SCHREIBER
The fire broke out around 9:30 p.m. in a utility compartment in the engine and caused extensive smoke and fire damage, Police Officer Guy Philbrook said.
"Our machinists and mechanical people are very talented and well-trained. They come in and inspect and will find out the cause," she said.
"It just engulfed the engineer's compartment from below," Philbrook said.
It's not uncommon for engines to be left running overnight. Scarano said locomotives don't have antifreeze in the diesel engines and that they have to stay running to keep them warm.
Firefighters cleared the scene shortly after 11 p.m.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 12-hour effort needed to get Mass. hiker off Mt. Adams - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge was local woman - 0
- Woman gets speeding ticket, then crashes into guard rail - 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Not your standard victory - 0
- Diane Foley is a lady of extraordinary elegance - 0
- Mayor's police contract veto may face override in Nashua - 0
- Havenstein to unveil 'Pledge 2.0' today, saying, 'I won't spend money we don't have' - 1
- Motivation Matters: Hey, boss! How am I doing? - 0
- Big Idea Group a startup breeding ground - 0
- North Country summit to highlight job creation - 0
- Food stamp loophole not a go in NH - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Everett Pollard: Mount Sunapee's master plan will benefit whole region - 0
7 hikers rescued from Pawtuckaway
Food stamp loophole not a go in NH
Foreclosure relief clinic Oct. 1 in Derry
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem