Home » News » Public Safety
Officials seek answers to fire on idle locomotive in Newfields
Mechanics inspect a train on tracks near the Route 108 bridge in Newfields Wednesday after it was damaged by a fire Tuesday night. JASON SCHREIBER
The fire broke out around 9:30 p.m. in a utility compartment in the engine and caused extensive smoke and fire damage, Police Officer Guy Philbrook said.
"Our machinists and mechanical people are very talented and well-trained. They come in and inspect and will find out the cause," she said.
"It just engulfed the engineer's compartment from below," Philbrook said.
It's not uncommon for engines to be left running overnight. Scarano said locomotives don't have antifreeze in the diesel engines and that they have to stay running to keep them warm.
Firefighters cleared the scene shortly after 11 p.m.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Teen driver dies after being pulled from icy waters in Londonderry - 8
- Trio escapes Claremont fire after smoke wakes resident - 0
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries in Little Cohas Brook crash - 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
- Commission honors seven for contributions to state firefighter training - 0
- Lost hikers found safe in Gilsum - 1
- Woman thrown from horse, injured - 0
- Stove ash blamed for Manchester garage fire - 0
- Derry Battalion Chief calls firefighter son a 'hero' for rescuing two boys from Hood Pond - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say Franklin man and woman facing charge of attempted prostitution of a minor - 0
- Police say hit-and-run driver was observed tossing beer cans from car - 0
- City championship on the line Thanksgiving Day - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket - 3
- On being American: A point for reflection - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: 'Tis the season for budget games and gimmicks - 0
- Police say woman stole pocketbook at Hudson Market Basket - 0
- Police say former manager of Hudson McDonald's stole $10k from restaurant - 0
- Manchester school exec contract squeaks by - 3
Manchester school exec contract squeaks by
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
On being American: A point for reflection