Michael E. Hammond: It’s time to stop the NH Senate’s gun control bill
First, the bill deals with guardianship and commitment procedures that are subject to horrific abuse. And it does nothing to address those abuses. The appointment of guardians is frequently accomplished in a “star chamber” ex parte proceeding in which neither the family nor the subject has any representation or right to be heard — in which the subject is deemed to have waived any statutory procedures prior to being stripped of all his constitutional rights.
Second, the newest draft doesn’t mandate the removal of Second Amendment rights as the result of unconstitutional procedures. But it doesn’t prohibit it either.
Michael E. Hammond, a resident of Dunbarton, works for Gun Owners of America and has been temporarily working in Virginia since Newtown to stop gun control legislation.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- George Will: Required reading on a Rockefeller - 0
- Deroy Murdock: The silence of the colored people - 1
- John Stossel: Don't put control freaks in control of your government - 4
- Kayla Bullwinkel: Schools must go after cyber bullies while respecting the First Amendment - 3
- George Will: Obama uses a bludgeon in Wisconsin - 3
- Jonah Goldberg: Feminists freak out over a guy's clothes - 1
- Another View -- Ted Cruz: Don't turn the Internet into a public utility - 8
- Charles Arlinghaus: Divided government keeps bad things from happening - 2
- Thomas Sowell: How race obsession can hurt minority students - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Football: Campbell pounces on Newport mistakes - 0
- NH's Trahan felled in Salem battle - 0
- Tiger hires new swing coach - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Expect an aerial display - 0
- College Football: Wildcats are CAA champs - 0
- NHIAA Football: Leadership matters - 0
- Windham turns back St. Thomas - 0
- College Notebook: Daniel Webster relishes its men's soccer conference crown - 0
- Dover's Burt leads Panthers - 0
Jury acquits Mont Vernon driver, who was checking text, in death of former Amherst fire chief
No arrests in Manchester SWAT incident
Driver acquitted in Amherst ex-chief’s death
A kinder, gentler House Speaker?
Pipeline's NH route moves to top choice
College Hockey: Providence blanks UNH