Michael E. Hammond: It’s time to stop the NH Senate’s gun control bill
First, the bill deals with guardianship and commitment procedures that are subject to horrific abuse. And it does nothing to address those abuses. The appointment of guardians is frequently accomplished in a “star chamber” ex parte proceeding in which neither the family nor the subject has any representation or right to be heard — in which the subject is deemed to have waived any statutory procedures prior to being stripped of all his constitutional rights.
Second, the newest draft doesn’t mandate the removal of Second Amendment rights as the result of unconstitutional procedures. But it doesn’t prohibit it either.
Michael E. Hammond, a resident of Dunbarton, works for Gun Owners of America and has been temporarily working in Virginia since Newtown to stop gun control legislation.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New Derry school year launch honors everyday heroes - 0
- Stevens High School in Claremont to have start pushed back to Sept. 10 because of renovations - 0
- Plymouth State's $32 million health, track facility seen as student draw - 0
- Free school meals rejected as Manchester board bucks federal program - 48
- Proposed hike for Manchester's driver education course reversed - 1
- With SNHU merger on hold, search renewed for NHIA president - 0
- Interim president encouraging student growth at WMCC - 0
- Pinkerton superintendent tours school in hors- drawn carriage - 1
- Granite State Arts Academy in Derry ready to open its doors - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
- New England Patriots guard Mankins traded to Tampa for TE Wright - 0
- NH Fisher Cat Lee still striving for making it to the major leagues - 0
- Former city restaurateur gets jail sentence for sex assault - 0
- Former high school art teacher gets suspended sentence in drug case - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 0
Market Basket: 'So close, yet so far'
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner