Home » News » Public Safety
Andover blaze destroys home
Fire crews were called to 105 Flaghole Road at 6:58 a.m. for what had originally been reported as a chimney fire. Once on the scene, Fire Chief Rene Lefebvre said crews found the home, an improved mobile home with structures on the sides, heavily engulfed in flames.
The fire wasn't under control until about 11 a.m., he said. One firefighter suffered a broken toe, but there were no serious injuries, he said.
Lefebvre said extreme cold temperatures made firefighting very difficult, as did the lack of a nearby water supply.
"It was a real tough one," he said. "The water was freezing as we were applying it, and there wasn't a nearby water supply, we had to use water from a site about three miles away."
Lefebvre, who lives near the home, said when he got to the scene, he knew he needed help. The homeowner had left the home, but family members were still in the building.
"Once we got everyone out, I called for a third alarm right away, I knew there wasn't any water nearby," he said.
Firefighters found it particularly hard to fight the fire, he said, because the home had no cellar, and they couldn't get under the building.
The approximately 1,600-square-foot home was mostly destroyed by the flames, but firefighters did manager to save a large portion of the family's personal belongings, Lefebvre said.
The cause of the fire appears to be related to a chimney problem, he said, but the investigation into the fire continues.
Town firefighters were joined by firefighters from Franklin, Tilton-Northfield, Sabornton, Bristol, Webster, Wilmot, New London, Salisbury and Sutton.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Report due soon on alleged abuse at neuro-rehab centers - 0
- Five state police cruisers among many accidents due to storm - 0
- Person found dead in Manchester alley - 0
- Rymes Oil employees pull Bradford man from flaming wreck, but driver succumbs to injuries - 0
- Keene man killed in work accident in Troy Monday - 0
- Teen driver dies after being pulled from icy waters in Londonderry - 8
- Trio escapes Claremont fire after smoke wakes resident - 0
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries in Little Cohas Brook crash - 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Celtics Insider: Celtics rule Smart out of tomorrow's game against Chicago - 0
- Berube the backbone of Monarchs' team 'D' - 0
- Packers QB Revis will pose a challenge for Patriots - 0
- Hudson may start charging for non-transport ambulance calls - 0
- NH suffers 4th worst outage on record - 0
- Camping out didn't pay for shoppers - 0
- Newsreel: Concord economic forecast; Tech Council hosts forum; UNH Fairchild Dairy honored - 0
- Londonderry-based MegaFood launches transparency project in vitamin industry - 0
- Grant program to help Granite State students with loans - 0
NH suffers 4th worst outage on record
Camping out didn't pay for shoppers
Keystone bill passes U.S. House