Andover blaze destroys home
Fire crews were called to 105 Flaghole Road at 6:58 a.m. for what had originally been reported as a chimney fire. Once on the scene, Fire Chief Rene Lefebvre said crews found the home, an improved mobile home with structures on the sides, heavily engulfed in flames.
The fire wasn't under control until about 11 a.m., he said. One firefighter suffered a broken toe, but there were no serious injuries, he said.
Lefebvre said extreme cold temperatures made firefighting very difficult, as did the lack of a nearby water supply.
"It was a real tough one," he said. "The water was freezing as we were applying it, and there wasn't a nearby water supply, we had to use water from a site about three miles away."
Lefebvre, who lives near the home, said when he got to the scene, he knew he needed help. The homeowner had left the home, but family members were still in the building.
"Once we got everyone out, I called for a third alarm right away, I knew there wasn't any water nearby," he said.
Firefighters found it particularly hard to fight the fire, he said, because the home had no cellar, and they couldn't get under the building.
The approximately 1,600-square-foot home was mostly destroyed by the flames, but firefighters did manager to save a large portion of the family's personal belongings, Lefebvre said.
The cause of the fire appears to be related to a chimney problem, he said, but the investigation into the fire continues.
Town firefighters were joined by firefighters from Franklin, Tilton-Northfield, Sabornton, Bristol, Webster, Wilmot, New London, Salisbury and Sutton.