Home » News » Public Safety
Derry house fire leaves person, pet dead
A man died early Friday after fire swept through this residence at 357 Island Pond Road, according to fire officials. (HUNTER McGEE/Union Leader Correspondent)
The New Hampshire Medical Examiner's office has identified the victim as 48-year-old Michael Lacharite, who died from smoke inhalation. The cause of the blaze has been determined to be accidental due to misuse of smoking materials near papers and trash, according to a news release.
A pet dog was also found dead inside the home, said Derry Battalion Chief Michael Gagnon.
No smoking detectors were located on the main level of the house where the victim was found. One smoke alarm was found in the basement but the detector was approximately 20 years old and it's not know if it was still capable of functioning, according fire officials.
A passing motorist reported the blaze to the Derry Fire Department early Friday.
The first alarm came in at 12:59 a.m. and fire crews arrived on the scene after three minutes from the initial dispatch, Gagnon said. They encountered heavy fire and were unable to make entry into the house, Gagnon said.
Search crews were later able to enter the home, where they found one person dead. A dog was also found dead in the house, Gagnon said.
Neighbor William Poor said he knew the man who lived near him simply as "Mike." He would occasionally talk to him while he was in his yard.
"He was a nice guy, friendly," Poor said. "We would shoot the bull for five or 10 minutes across the yard, that kind of stuff. I never really got to know him too much."
Poor said his neighbor worked in the building trades and commuted regularly to Boston. He had lived alone in the house since his wife passed away last summer, Poor said.
Poor said he didn’t know the name of the short-haired, lab-like dog.
State Fire Marshal William Degnan urged all residents to have working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms on each level of their homes immediately outside of sleeping areas, the release said. Smoke alarms should also be placed inside bedrooms and interconnected so that if an alarm sounds then all alarms will sound. Once a smoke alarm sounds, residents only have as little as three minutes to escape. Degnan said smoke alarms that are 10 years or older should be replaced. Residents should have at least two exit routes that are clear of storage and any other potential obstacles.
So far this year, eleven people have died because of fires and carbon monoxide, according to the release.
Any further inquiries can be directed to the State Fire Marshal’s Office, Investigator Tom Schutzius at (603)223-4289.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 1
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 2
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate