Fergus Cullen: Bob Smith can't outrun his bizarre political past
The tenacious Smith ran three times for Congress before getting elected. In 1980, he lost the nomination to Marshall Cobleigh. In 1982 he won the nomination but lost the general to incumbent Rep. Norm D’Amours. Finally in 1984 he won an open seat. Six years later he was elected to the Senate, easily defeating former Sen. John Durkin.
In February 1999, Smith announced he was running for President. Frustrated by how few rallied to his banner, Smith took the floor of the Senate in July to denounce the Republican Party for lacking principle and announced he was quitting the party. The GOP “is not a political party that means anything,” Smith thundered. “It’s a charade and I’m not going to take part in it anymore.” Members of his staff resigned, refusing to follow him. The state Republican Party banned Smith from attending party events.
Fergus Cullen, a freelance columnist, is a former chairman of the New Hampshire Republican Party and interned for Smith in 1992. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org and followed @FergusCullen.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Another View -- Fred Hiatt: Disengage from the world, and this is what happens - 0
- David Harsanyi: Are teachers really underpaid? - 10
- Jonah Goldberg: The U.N. club needs higher standards - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 20
- Deroy Murdock: What if Gaza were San Diego instead? - 1
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 55
- Another View -- Charles Lane: Obamacare and the Constitution - 22
- John Stossel: Why are we giving the police so much power? - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 1
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 1
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
- Jays' Stroman stymies Red Sox - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Market Basket community waits and watches
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride