Fergus Cullen: Bob Smith can't outrun his bizarre political past
The tenacious Smith ran three times for Congress before getting elected. In 1980, he lost the nomination to Marshall Cobleigh. In 1982 he won the nomination but lost the general to incumbent Rep. Norm D’Amours. Finally in 1984 he won an open seat. Six years later he was elected to the Senate, easily defeating former Sen. John Durkin.
In February 1999, Smith announced he was running for President. Frustrated by how few rallied to his banner, Smith took the floor of the Senate in July to denounce the Republican Party for lacking principle and announced he was quitting the party. The GOP “is not a political party that means anything,” Smith thundered. “It’s a charade and I’m not going to take part in it anymore.” Members of his staff resigned, refusing to follow him. The state Republican Party banned Smith from attending party events.
Fergus Cullen, a freelance columnist, is a former chairman of the New Hampshire Republican Party and interned for Smith in 1992. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org and followed @FergusCullen.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bella, a chihuahua mix, is still missing in Auburn - 0
- Nashua man charged in domestic knife threat - 0
- Manchester man detained on Nashua rape charges involving child - 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 1
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 12
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced