Finally, Mother Nature cooperates for annual Tamworth Sled Dog Races
A musher gets his dogs ready for the start of Saturday’s 4-dog pro/sportsman-class competition. Above right, a young musher brings his team to the finish line during the 3-dog junior race Saturday morning. (John Koziol/Union Leader Correspondent)
Usually run at Lake Chocorua on the last weekend in January, the races are sponsored by the Tamworth Outing Club and operated by the New England Sled Dog Club. The NESDC was founded in nearby Wonalancet in 1924, thereby giving it claim to the title of being one of the oldest such clubs in the world.
Chant said she was happy the races were held, especially since some people travelled a long way to see them. The last race is scheduled for 1 p.m. Sunday. Spectators can park along Route 16 and walk across to the start/finish line on Lake Chocorua.
Doug Butler of Middlebury, Vt., was accompanied by students from Middlebury College, some of whom were videotaping the "open" class where, as Endres explained, you can run "as many dogs as you got the guts to hook up."
One of the students, James Brown, originally from Piqua, Ohio, said he and a colleague have filmed Butler at the recent Laconia World Championship Sled Dog Derby and they hope to follow him to races in Alaska next year.
The 2014 races were dedicated to the memory of Stanley B. Coville for his "55 years of making the races happen with warm prodding and for his love of this place."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bedford Bison NH baseball 38+ champs for 2014 - 0
- NH Audubon's Rare Bird Alert for Aug. 26 - 0
- Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Orioles, catbirds, robins line up for grape jelly - 0
- Bedford man accused of sexually assaulting 2 children - 0
- Londonderry firefighters on mission to make sure children won’t be cold - 0
- Salem considers legal action over damaged school gym floor at Lancaster Elementary - 0
- Great NH Restaurants to expand its charitable efforts with FEEDNH.org - 0
- Win tickets to see Steven Wright - 0
- Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
NH Audubon's Rare Bird Alert for Aug. 26