NH Ukranians fear Putin's ego motives
"In the 20 years that the Ukraine has been free, the educational system has been revitalized, the church has a been revitalized, people are more aware of what is going on in the world," Smolley said. "When the Ukraine was part of the Soviet Union, news was filtered by the government and people were not aware of world situations as they are now."
"The fear would be that if there is a realignment with Moscow that especially the Ukrainian Catholic Church would come under gross attack just as it did before the Ukraine received freedom and the church was re-established."
"Putin is an egotist and he would just be sticking another feather in his cap if he said 'I can take back the Ukraine, the biggest of the Soviet bloc countries that received their independence,'" Smolley said. "It would show how easy it would be to go back and annex Georgia and some of those other countries; there is a great deal at stake."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua fourth-graders show significant gains in science - 0
- UNH math professor earns prestigious MacArthur Fellowship - 0
- School emergency notification system to launch in Londonderry - 0
- New Nashua computer curriculum stresses exam, lifetime skills - 0
- Manchester teachers to hold 2nd contract vote following voting hours complaints - 26
- Alton educator selected as NH Teacher of the Year - 0
- USNH: Restore funding and we'll freeze tuition - 5
- Manchester, Hooksett will resume schools conversation - 2
- River Valley Community College planning for new president's inauguration - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 0
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 6
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 12
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over