NH Ukranians fear Putin's ego motives
"In the 20 years that the Ukraine has been free, the educational system has been revitalized, the church has a been revitalized, people are more aware of what is going on in the world," Smolley said. "When the Ukraine was part of the Soviet Union, news was filtered by the government and people were not aware of world situations as they are now."
"The fear would be that if there is a realignment with Moscow that especially the Ukrainian Catholic Church would come under gross attack just as it did before the Ukraine received freedom and the church was re-established."
"Putin is an egotist and he would just be sticking another feather in his cap if he said 'I can take back the Ukraine, the biggest of the Soviet bloc countries that received their independence,'" Smolley said. "It would show how easy it would be to go back and annex Georgia and some of those other countries; there is a great deal at stake."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- U.S. helicopters return to combat missions in Iraq - 0
- Video: British hostage beheaded by ISIS - 14
- To remember the POW and MIA: Recognition Day ceremony in Boscawen - 0
- Goffstown High grad finishes Air Force training - 0
- JFK picture on side of Dallas tour bus draws ire, threats - 0
- Yellowstone tourist fined for crashed drone - 0
- FBI chief claims killer of Foley and Sotloff is identified - 0
- FBI says militant in beheading videos ID'd; about a dozen from U.S. have fought with militants in Syria - 0
- U.S., Arab partners launch first strikes on Islamic State in Syria - 16
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 0
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 0
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 0
- Unrest erupts after grand jury decides against charges in Ferguson, Mo., shooting - 0
- Malkin, Crosby foil Bruins in overtime - 0
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Randy Johnson, Pedro, Smoltz lead HOF ballot
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.