Home » Opinion » Editorials
Gas tax hike or else? Is this New Jersey, Sen. Rausch?
Clement recently decided it was in his interest to tell the Legislature that it should not just increase the gas tax but should also bring expanded gambling to the state in the form of a new casino. Having the Department of Transportation head stick his nose into that very contentious issue was a bit startling. One would guess that Clement is carrying water for his boss, Gov. Maggie Hassan.
He fumed that truckers had benefited from past legislative action that raised the legal weight limit on New Hampshire roads and highways and maybe he would have to propose dropping those limits. He also said that maybe New Hampshire should increase its weight fine on our interstate highways to be as onerous as those in Maine, Vermont and Massachusetts.
He is chairman of the Senate Transportation Committee. He carries some weight and apparently thinks he can throw it around at will. But is this really the way New Hampshire's Legislature wants to do business?
The BIA says 100 percent of any tax increase should be directed "solely to the maintenance and improvement'' of roads and bridges. It also wants the Legislature, on a biennial basis, to "assess whether current and anticipated highway fund revenues meet road and bridge infrastructure needs.''
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Israel says ground offensive under way in Gaza - 0
- U.S. says Malaysian airliner was 'blown out of the sky' - 0
- NH National Guard to conduct annual training in Michigan over three weeks - 0
- Thousands come out in Boscawen to honor Garabrant's sacrifice - 1
- Thousands attend funeral service for Marine in Peterborough - 4
- More than 1,800 people attend calling hours for Marine - 5
- Greenfield family receives body of Garabrant, veterans offer tribute to Marine killed in Afghanistan - 3
- Fallen Marine to return to NH on Saturday; calling hours, service set for next week in Peterborough - 0
- Monadnock area family of killed Marine travels to Delaware for arrival of body - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Only a freshman, Kennedy excelled on the track - 0
- Looking Back With Aurore Eaton: The Manchester Opera House makes its stunning debut - 0
- Another View -- John Dumais: Mandatory GMO labeling is all cost, no benefit - 0
- What’s the rush? Executive Council follows Pelosi plan - 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats prove point - 0
- Evan Turner, Celtics see upside in new deal - 0
- Thunder take two from Fisher Cats - 0
- Ortiz, Drew (4 RBIs each) lead Red Sox hit parade against Blue Jays - 0
- Nashua settles suit over gas collection system - 0
Market Basket workers urged to 'shut it down'; deposed CEO urges fired workers be given jobs back
Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal
Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility
U.S. appeals courts issue conflicting rulings on Obamacare exchange subsidies such as NH's