Home » Opinion » Editorials
Gas tax hike or else? Is this New Jersey, Sen. Rausch?
Clement recently decided it was in his interest to tell the Legislature that it should not just increase the gas tax but should also bring expanded gambling to the state in the form of a new casino. Having the Department of Transportation head stick his nose into that very contentious issue was a bit startling. One would guess that Clement is carrying water for his boss, Gov. Maggie Hassan.
He fumed that truckers had benefited from past legislative action that raised the legal weight limit on New Hampshire roads and highways and maybe he would have to propose dropping those limits. He also said that maybe New Hampshire should increase its weight fine on our interstate highways to be as onerous as those in Maine, Vermont and Massachusetts.
He is chairman of the Senate Transportation Committee. He carries some weight and apparently thinks he can throw it around at will. But is this really the way New Hampshire's Legislature wants to do business?
The BIA says 100 percent of any tax increase should be directed "solely to the maintenance and improvement'' of roads and bridges. It also wants the Legislature, on a biennial basis, to "assess whether current and anticipated highway fund revenues meet road and bridge infrastructure needs.''
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Public be damned: Litchfield latest example - 2
- NH's 9/11 victims: We cannot forget - 0
- Celebrating Stark: And America, in Manchester - 0
- NH's Obamabots: Taking their cues from party bosses - 66
- Spending & voting: MayDay's wasted money - 5
- For the NH GOP: Two new stars - 13
- 9/11 memories revived: 'A quiet, unyielding anger' - 8
- Shaheen vs. free speech: She wants to silence you - 24
- Immigration scam: Obama hides his plan - 17
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Find the hidden cash stashed downtown - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: Burning questions about driverless cars - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Ted Menswar Jr.: How Manchester pulled together to honor one of its greats - 0
- Strategery: A war by any other name - 0
- Not every human gets elected, but that chicken certainly pecked away at the legal system - 0
- Mother of Bedford student hit by car says safety should come first on school grounds - 0
- Nashua couple's minivan stolen with toddler in back seat - 0
- Scotland independence battle reaches fever pitch - 0
- Manchester's Davies 'Man of the Match' as Revs run win streak to five on Saturday - 0
Find the hidden cash stashed downtown
Brady, Patriots bounce back with big win
In 2nd District race, Garcia bucks Obamacare
Public be damned: Litchfield latest example
Hot spotlight put on NH domestic violence