Home » News » Politics » Town Meetings
Candia debates whether to hire new police officer
"It didn't go as well as I planned," said McGillen. "I'm at a bit of a loss because I was right there last year, with a room full of people, and the message was loud and clear from residents. They wanted that extra police position. They wanted it filled."
Kelley specifically pointed to rising insurance rates and retirement costs as primary reasons to avoid hiring another full-time employee. The town contributes an additional 25.3 percent of an officer's gross salary toward retirement.
A younger officer with a lower salary would cost the town less in retirement costs, however part-time officers could collectively fill the same hours without the markup for benefits, said Kelley.
"It's great to have that part-time coverage, but in terms of using them to replace a full-time officer, you just don't get the same level of service," he said. email@example.com
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Kuster, Shea-Porter split on vote to arm Syrian rebels - 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition at Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 in Rochester - 0
- Rochester 10-year-old, grandmother escape fire in home with no smoke detectors - 0
- Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester - 3
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 4
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too