Home » News » Public Safety
Northwood fire prompts firefighters to urge residents to clean chimneys
Residents escaped a chimney fire that damaged a home at 51 Old Dump Road in Northwood on Monday morning. John Quinn/Union Leader
NORTHWOOD — While no one was injured, an elderly couple must stay with their son after a chimney fire spread into the walls of their home Monday morning.
Police firefighters and emergency personnel responded to 51 Old Dump Road at 10:29 a.m. after the residents smelled a burning odor and smoke singed their eyes, which caused them to leave the home.
The fire spread from the chimney to the nearby wall, which forced firefighters to open up the side of the home and disable the lines to the home’s oil heater. As a result, the home is uninhabitable during the cold temperatures.
Fire Lt. Dave Wakeman said firefighters from Northwood were assisted by crews from Deerfield, Epsom, Nottingham, Pittsfield and Strafford.
Wakeman said it’s important to clean chimneys, furnaces and fireplaces before cold weather sets in.
“The rule of thumb is twice a year,” Wakeman said, adding he recommends cleaning chimneys before the cold sets in and half-way through the winter.
Wakeman said chimney fires are caused by a build-up of creosote, a natural by-product of burning wood, which funnels the heat and can be dangerous.
He said residents should take notice when there is a sharp increase in temperatures around the stove pipe or if they hear a crackling sound in the wall.
“With a free burning fire, it sounds like a train going by,” Wakeman said, adding by this time, residents should evacuate the home and call firefighters.
“It’s better to err on the side of caution,” Wakeman said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 38
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads