Home » News » Public Safety
Haverhill man receives call every homeowner dreads
Fire broke out Monday morning at a home off Route 116 in Haverhill. Several area fire departments responded to the scene. (BOB HOOKWAY/Union Leader Correspondent)
The three-bedroom, single-floor home he renovated last year is about 40-years-old, he said, and sets on a rural stretch of Route 116 not far from the Benton line.
The drive of about 10 miles brought him to his Davis Realty office in the heart of Woodsville, Haverhill's business district. He said later Monday morning he had left his home at 8:40.
Davis said he lived alone, and was grateful that no one was injured in the fire.
By midmorning, there must have been 20 fire engines lined up outside his house as area departments responded. Crews blocked off the highway and turned around the relatively few motorists who came by in either direction. The bright sun and clear sky belied the morning temperature that stood at 10 degrees. The flames were gone by then, but thick smoke continued to pour from the windows and along the ridgeline.
"They had redone the whole place last summer, new roof, new vinyl siding," she said in a telephone interview shortly after firefighters cleared the scene at around 2 p.m.
Davis said the state Fire Marshal's Office was working to determine the cause.
"I was heating with propane and wood. I did burn firewood; that's always suspect when there's a house fire. But I had a triple-lined chimney," Davis said, as he prepared to make an unplanned shopping trip.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 0
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 3
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 2
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
- Salem family ldisplaced by house fire - 0
- Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health - 17
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jailed man faces new charge for allegedly contacting witness - 0
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 3
- Nashua man arrested in Brookline stabbing - 0
- Cumberland Farms robbed; third store hit this month in Rochester - 0
- E-cigarettes find a market in NH - 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 1
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 4
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 1
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
LNG plant put 'on hold'
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
20140728-Dover patient shocked by $3,766 Wentworth-Douglass charged insurer for tube of cold sore cream
Cabrera, Blue Jays trounce fading Red Sox