Home » News » Public Safety
Three firefighters recovering after injuries in fast-moving Claremont house fire
Claremont Fire Department Lt. Andy Stevens was flown to Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, and firefighter Scott Kenniston was flown to Fletcher Allen Hospital in Burlington, Vt.
A third firefighter, Nick Koloski, injured his thumb or wrist while helping the firefighters escape. He was treated at Valley Regional Hospital in Claremont, Bergeron said.
When firefighters arrived, the rear side of the house was fully in flames, Bergeron said.
The family, three adults and three children, were out of the house when firefighters arrived, though initially two adults were reported trapped inside.
Exterior materials on the house helped spread the fire up the rear side of the house including an exterior vinyl siding and the composite porch.
Firefighters went through the front and entered the first floor to access the porch on the first floor.
There was so much fire in the building that conditions deteriorated before they could react, Bergeron said.
Their fire protective suits could only protect them so much against the fire, and they suffered burns of varying degrees, Bergeron said. The firefighters were sent to hospitals with burns centers that could treat them. They are expected to be released from care anywhere from a few days to up to a week, he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate