Popularity of I-93 high-speed tolls spurs surge in EZ Pass use
E-ZPass participation has jumped since the open-road toll lanes opened on Interstate 93 in Hooksett last spring. (UNION LEADER FILE)
E-ZPass participation has risen dramatically since the open-road toll lanes opened a the Hooksett toll plaza on Interstate 93 last spring. UNION LEADER FILE
Meanwhile, the atate liquor stores in the new welcome centers at the Interstate 93 tolls are expected to open this fall, months ahead of schedule.
In the six months after the ORT lanes opened, the number of new E-ZPass accounts increased by 78 percent over the same period last year, averaging more than 4,000 new accounts per month.
A transponder is the small device that signals the toll station electronically when a vehicle passes through. It is placed on the windshield behind the rear-view mirror.
"The growth of E-ZPass and the introduction of open-road tolling has allowed us to implement a Lean Staffing Initiative in toll operations, that has resulted in significant savings in personnel costs for toll collection," said Waszczuk.
In fiscal 2013, system-wide toll collection personnel costs were 20 percent lower than in fiscal 2011, for a savings of $2 million, he said. Projections for fiscal 2014 show costs 22 percent lower than in fiscal 2011, for a projected savings of $2.2 million, Waszczuk said.
In 2013, the opening of new E-ZPass accounts increased by 51 percent over those in 2012 and 85 percent over those in 2011.
In 2013, the sale of transponders increased by 32 percent over those in 2012 and 70 percent over those in 2011.
Under the updated schedule, Waszczuk said, the liquor store along I-93 north is expected to open in September; the store on the southbound side is projected to open in October. Waszczuk said the northbound and southbound welcome centers, with fuel and food concessions, are expected to be fully operational by January and February of 2015, respectively.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man accused of cutting wife’s throat committed to psychiatric hospital - 1
- Two may have stabbed each other in Concord parking garage incident, police say - 0
- Manchester joyride in a stolen truck lands two in handcuffs - 0
- High School Football Power Poll: Some shuffling in the middle - 0
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
- Pamela Diamantis: USNH’s tuition freeze offer is good for NH’s future - 1
- Crosstown Variety Store robbed in Manchester - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio: A well-earned celebration for Sox. - 0
- A’s earn their way into postseason play - 0
Dover man's nightmare lesson for everyone
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
'Strange ideas' Banning guns made in NH
Personhood Controversial? Really?
License revocations for DWI announced
Dredging planned for Milford's Osgood Pond