Volunteers needed for Special Olympics basketball assessment in Keene March 15
KEENE — The Parks and Recreation Department seeks volunteers to help out at the Special Olympics Unified Sports Basketball Assessment games on Saturday, March 15.
“It’s an all-day event at Keene State College,” said Meghan Spaulding, recreation program coordinator.
Keene has hosted this event for many years, she said.
According to Spaulding, more than 40 teams are expected to come to the games to demonstrate their skills, courage and joy.
The preliminary games are used to ensure the teams will be competing in the correct bracket at the state tournament set to take place in Portsmouth at the end of the month, Spaulding said.
The event is planned to take place at Keene State College. All six courts will be in action throughout the event, Spaulding said.
Spaulding said she is looking for officials to donate their time and help provide a quality sports environment for the athletes. While knowledge of basketball is great, it is not necessary.
Timekeepers and scorekeepers are needed as well as help with lunch.
“The Kiwanis Club helps with the lunches, but they always accept more hands,” she said.
Games are set to begin at 9 a.m. and run until noon. Lunch will be provided and games are expected to resume at 1 p.m. and finish between 3:30 p.m. and 4 p.m.
To volunteer or learn more, contact Spaulding at 357-9829 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.