Home » News » Politics » Town Meetings
Hollis voters reject school expansion
Article 15, a petitioned warrant article that would have changed the system used to determine how much each town pays in local school taxes was tabled by majority vote.
By the time voter registration completed well over an hour past the meeting's set starting time, more than 1,000 voters had signed in.
Live streaming was eventually extended to the auditorium across the hall due to seating shortage in the gym.
"What we're talking about here is public education: a system intended for all the community and funded by the entire community," Solon said.
Budget Committee member Raul Blanche said the committee took issue with the fact that the high school addition and the sports field were combined into a single package.
According to Budget Committee Chair Darlene Mann, the item would have meant a 15 cent per $1,000 valuation increase in Brookline and an 8 cent per $1,000 valuation increase in Hollis.
Hollis resident Basil Mason spoke against both the bond item and the citizen's petition.
"As a senior citizen, I demand you start looking at what's going on here. This would be a huge fiasco," Mason said. "As far as eating (referring to the cafeteria situation) goes, let's just put in a McDonald's. And if you want money for the fields, stick a collection budget at both ends of the field we have now and see how many people put money in it."
Hollis resident Tom Gehan spoke against Article 15 and encouraged voters to table the item.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- High School Football: Lawrence, Mass., tops Salem - 0
- Five state police cruisers among many accidents due to storm - 0
- Manchester says streets will be clear for Fisher Cats Thanksgiving 5K - 0
- Keene churches increase winter breakfasts this year - 0
- Housing vouchers are available for veterans - 0
- Bedford Women's Club to recognize veteran - 0
- Person found dead in Manchester alley - 0
- Students, veterans will be recognized for making state tree decorations - 0
- NH Veterans Briefs: Sweeney Post events - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
NH Veterans Briefs: Sweeney Post events
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
On being American: A point for reflection