Clergy to take Ash Wednesday to the streets today in Concord
The Episcopal bishop, the Right Rev. A. Robert Hirschfeld, and three other Episcopal ministers will take part of Ashes to Go, a nationwide program designed to mark the foreheads of Christians who don’t have the time or forgot to attend a service, according to the website ashestogo.org.
In their statements, Libasci and Hirschfeld said the ashes are a reminder of human mortality.
Devout Orthodox Christians avoid meat and dairy for the entire Lenten season, as well as Holy Week, the week that leads up to Easter, Mahalares said. On Wednesdays and Fridays, they abstain from food prepared with cooking oils.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New London voters pass municipal budget - 0
- Peterborough voters say no to cluster housing, yes to village zone - 0
- Newport voters say yes to police and DPW raises - 0
- Hooksett voters OK budget, police pact - 0
- Voters reject propane-only heating plan at Lafayette Regional School - 0
- Zoning measures against sprawl on Peterborough Town Meeting ballot - 0
- Town engineer, budget increase on Hooksett ballot - 0
- New London residents to vote on $1.17 million budget - 0
- Sanbornton to vote on cruisers, voting date - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox' summer swoon continues as Jays finish sweep - 0
- Lawrence, Fisher Cats too much for Binghamton - 0
- Former Manchester teacher jailed for assaulting student, 6, with soap, pepper - 0
- Merrimack zoning officials deny AT&T cell tower request - 0
- Derry woman faces charges after nearly hitting Salem police officers - 0
- Upsets mark quarterfinal play in Red Ryan CYO golf - 0
- Moose International files suit to claim Claremont lodge - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: City man accused of menacing woman, assaulting teen - 0
- Keene boy hit by truck remains hospitalized - 0
Market Basket community waits and watches
Derry woman arrested after police pursuit
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride