Mark Hayward's City Matters: Coco leaves a void in the undercover force
• Drugs. The heroin seized in the bust amounted to about 60 grams, about 2 ounces, far too small an amount to spread out on a table for cameras. The street value — about $6,000.
By now, we've all seen Coco's face when he shows up at court hearings about his hit-and-run accident last year, when he took off after hitting two teenagers in Bedford. His eyes dart about like a doe during hunting season; his once-beefy cop body is lost in a loose-fitting suit.
In 2009, Coco received two FBI director awards. One was for his work to break up Bloods gang members who were selling drugs and getting high while using guns and home invasions to enforce their enterprise.
"It's a job I couldn't do," Maloney said. "It's dangerous, hard work, and tough on the family."
"I can assure you there's still big investigations going on," Maloney said. "It's not like all we can do is street level."
I don't write this to hit the high notes for Coco on a violin of sympathy. There are certainly aspects of the Coco saga that sour everyone — the plea bargain that got torpedoed, the parsing of words by his lawyer, his excuse that he was distracted by a cell phone.
"I'm sure he will pay for it; he's paying for it right now," Encarnacao said. "That doesn't diminish the good things he has done."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Executive Council approves railroad contract for Milford - 0
- Executive Council to consider raising dollar threshold for contracts - 0
- GOP to Hassan: What taxes would you raise? - 0
- NH Republicans push for 2014 fiscal budget figures - 0
- State Sen. David Boutin apologizes for lapse in judgment - 17
- New victim protections passed by Legislature celebrated - 0
- Gov. Hassan asks agency heads for conservative budgets - 2
- Hassan runs first ad as GOP claims more irregularities - 0
- Interim IT, NH tourism heads approved - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man charged in domestic knife threat - 0
- Manchester man detained on Nashua rape charges involving child - 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 0
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 9
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Strategery: A war by any other name
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Lawyer wants cellphone evidence thrown out