Navy: Anyone want keys to the Castle at Portsmouth shipyard?
“The Navy seeks to competitively select a developer to lease the premises,” the Navy announced. “The developer selected by the Navy will develop, operate and maintain a facility compatible with shipyard operations.”
The multi-story, reinforced concrete structure could be costly to repair. The floors are buckled, pipes are broken and wires dangle inside the building. A developer would have to remove the asbestos, lead paint and deal with any other environmental issues.
“The developer shall be fully responsible for the entire premises, including, but not limited to, ensuring the structural stability of Building 93 in its entirety, the removal, disposal and remediation of all hazardous materials present in and/or on the premises,” the announcement states.
The former prison was featured in “The Last Detail” with Jack Nicholson, who portrayed a Marine Corps “chaser” who would be condemned to serve out a prisoner’s sentence if he allowed him to escape.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- George Will: Scotland's epic vote - 0
- Charles Krauthammer: Obama's uncertain trumpet, again - 0
- Maureen McDonald: Ray Rice and the everyday problem of domestic violence - 1
- Another View -- Jason Bedrick: An important court victory for parents and taxpayers - 3
- Thomas Sowell: Mob rule economics is bad for everyone - 8
- George Will: Eviscerating the 1st Amendment is extremism - 5
- Jonah Goldberg: Upholding America's honor in a dangerous world - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We are in for a nasty, dishonest election season - 25
- Charles Arlinghaus: Don't apologize for not voting - 5
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Two weekend robberies reported in Manchester, one committed by man in sling, 'Rocky Squirrel' hat - 0
- Man stabbed in leg in Manchester incident - 0
- Senate sustains Hassan veto of bill to revamp juvenile justice system - 1
- Possible negotiated plea for Nashua dad accused of negligent homicide in son's death - 0
- Amherst man facing charges in August Merrimack accident - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Brown v. Shaheen: A tale of new polls - 4
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Woman shot during Manchester drug raid is identified - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
In 2nd District race, Garcia bucks Obamacare
Attorney claims illegal phone seizure following Christmas Eve accident that killed Brookline mom
Find the hidden cash stashed downtown
Strategery: A war by any other name
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Lawyer wants cellphone evidence thrown out
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Your Turn, NH -- Ted Menswar Jr.: How Manchester pulled together to honor one of its greats