Navy: Anyone want keys to the Castle at Portsmouth shipyard?
“The Navy seeks to competitively select a developer to lease the premises,” the Navy announced. “The developer selected by the Navy will develop, operate and maintain a facility compatible with shipyard operations.”
The multi-story, reinforced concrete structure could be costly to repair. The floors are buckled, pipes are broken and wires dangle inside the building. A developer would have to remove the asbestos, lead paint and deal with any other environmental issues.
“The developer shall be fully responsible for the entire premises, including, but not limited to, ensuring the structural stability of Building 93 in its entirety, the removal, disposal and remediation of all hazardous materials present in and/or on the premises,” the announcement states.
The former prison was featured in “The Last Detail” with Jack Nicholson, who portrayed a Marine Corps “chaser” who would be condemned to serve out a prisoner’s sentence if he allowed him to escape.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Syracuse, Iowa crowned top party schools - 0
- Parking fines cause disputes, raise revenues - 1
- Jon Cavaiani dies at 70; desperate stand in '71 led to Medal of Honor - 0
- Meriam Ibrahim, family welcomed as long journey ends in Manchester - 2
- Moose International files suit to claim Claremont lodge - 0
- NH man's wife flies to Rome, meets Pope Francis after giving birth on death row in Sudan - 2
- Manchester postpones Fourth of July celebration - 0
- Reports say Sudanese Christian woman released; Manchester relative hopeful - 0
- 'Cadillac' health tax costs draw big worry - 13
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test