Navy: Anyone want keys to the Castle at Portsmouth shipyard?
“The Navy seeks to competitively select a developer to lease the premises,” the Navy announced. “The developer selected by the Navy will develop, operate and maintain a facility compatible with shipyard operations.”
The multi-story, reinforced concrete structure could be costly to repair. The floors are buckled, pipes are broken and wires dangle inside the building. A developer would have to remove the asbestos, lead paint and deal with any other environmental issues.
“The developer shall be fully responsible for the entire premises, including, but not limited to, ensuring the structural stability of Building 93 in its entirety, the removal, disposal and remediation of all hazardous materials present in and/or on the premises,” the announcement states.
The former prison was featured in “The Last Detail” with Jack Nicholson, who portrayed a Marine Corps “chaser” who would be condemned to serve out a prisoner’s sentence if he allowed him to escape.
READER COMMENTS: 18
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Raising a pint for science - 1
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Downtown, it's all in the restaurant family - 1
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 1
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: A short history of the spice trade - 1
- City Matters: Little sleep for Vietnam vet - 3
- City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us - 10
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: 'Taps' is soundtrack of summer ceremony - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Central buddies play on - 1
READER COMMENTS: 3
- UPDATED: Bail set at $20,000 for Holiday Inn Express robbery suspect - 1
- Nashua driver rejects plea deal in hit-and-run negligent homicide case - 0
- UPDATED: Distracted by dog, woman downs two utility poles on Manchester’s Varney Street - 1
- UPDATED: Regulators OK 47 percent rate hike for Liberty Utilities customers - 13
- Nashua man facing numerous assault charges in attack on woman - 0
- After flap over 'racist' comment, no call for Lincoln planner to resign from board - 17
- Review of West High intruder case to be behind closed doors - 5
- Another View -- Daniel Barrick: Manchester's schools face some serious challenges - 1
- Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance - 4
Hillary Clinton to join Shaheen fundraiser
State surplus isn't big enough
Weare police sergeant's firing rescinded
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance