Home » News » Politics » Town Meetings
Hopkinton will vote on full-day kindergarten
The annual school district meeting will take place at 9 a.m. on Saturday at Hopkinton High School. One warrant article proposes changing all of its kindergarten classes from half-day to full-day.
The extra space in the full-day class was opened up to students who didn’t exhibit any obvious learning gaps and whose parents agreed to pay a fee to keep their kids in school all day.
Studies have consistently shown that students who have a strong beginning to their education perform better in school later on, said Chamberlin. The extra time at the beginning of their 13 years in school builds a foundation upon which everything else they learn is dependent, and with that foundation firmly in place, students are at lower risk for needing more costly educational assistance programs later on, the superintendent said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Britain's Prince William and wife, Kate, expecting second baby - 0
- Comedian Joan Rivers dead at age 81 says daughter - 0
- U.S. says Islamic State video of journalist's killing is authentic - 0
- No paper on Monday; check UnionLeader.com for updated, breaking news - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Monarchs Scouting Report: Nick Shore - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 4
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 5
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 1
- Unrest erupts after grand jury decides against charges in Ferguson, Mo., shooting - 14
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.