Home » News » Public Safety
Manchester fire heavily damages one apartment
MANCHESTER — Firefighters quickly extinguished a blaze late Thursday morning in a third-floor apartment above the Good Still Pawn Shop on Kelley Street.
District Fire Chief Al Poulin said firefighters carried two hand lines up three flights of stairs to extinguish the fire that started in the living room of the third-floor apartment at 128 Kelley St.
Pawn shop employees noticed smoke coming from the apartment and called 911 at 11:47 a.m. The fire was under control 18 minutes later.
Poulin said the cause of the blaze, which heavily damaged the living room, remains under investigation.
He said the other three apartments in the building, as well as the pawn shop, suffered minor water damage. Once that is cleaned up, he said the tenants and employees will be allowed to return. The residents of the apartment that caught fire, however, will have to find some other place to live.
Poulin said the fire had the potential to be disastrous, given the location of the building in the heavily congested West Side neighborhood. However, he credited the early 911 call and four firefighters being on duty at the Amory Street station when the fire was reported.
He said the fourth man made the difference for firefighters in getting the hoses up three flights of stairs. Oftentimes, he said, the station is staffed with only three firefighters.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 40
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm