Home » News » Public Safety
Nashua YMCA lifeguard: ‘My training just kicked in and instincts took over’
Samantha Goy of Nashua was one of two lifeguards at the Nashua YMCA who saved the life of Kugarany ‘Baba’ Sribalaharan (at right) this past December when she went into cardiac arrest while swimming laps. (KIMBERLY HOUGHTON PHOTO)
But those fears were cast aside this past December when Goy, 18, realized a swimmer at the Nashua YMCA was in trouble. Goy, along with her fellow lifeguard Brenna Connolly, quickly stepped into action when a woman lost consciousness while swimming laps in the pool.
“My training just kicked in and instincts took over,” Goy said while attending an award ceremony Wednesday at Nashua High School South.
Hosted by American Medical Response, the award ceremony not only recognized Goy and Sribalaharan, but also honored more than 2,000 city high school students who participated in the first annual AMR CPR Challenge in December.
“You could potentially save someone’s life,” Stawasz told the crowd on Wednesday. “Congratulations to everybody.”
“This is such a valuable skill, and you should be commended for learning it,” agreed Dr. James Martin, medical director at St. Joseph Hospital in Nashua.
“This is just the start of your training,” said Justin Kates, emergency management director for the city.
“You guys might be the people to call 911 and begin CPR during an emergency. Already you are more prepared,” he told the students.
Organizers of the CPR challenge are hoping to expand the program next year to include students from Manchester high schools as well, Stawasz said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 12-hour effort needed to get Mass. hiker off Mt. Adams - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge was local woman - 0
- Woman gets speeding ticket, then crashes into guard rail - 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Not your standard victory - 0
- Diane Foley is a lady of extraordinary elegance - 0
- Mayor's police contract veto may face override in Nashua - 0
- Havenstein to unveil 'Pledge 2.0' today, saying, 'I won't spend money we don't have' - 1
- Motivation Matters: Hey, boss! How am I doing? - 0
- Big Idea Group a startup breeding ground - 0
- North Country summit to highlight job creation - 0
- Food stamp loophole not a go in NH - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Everett Pollard: Mount Sunapee's master plan will benefit whole region - 0
7 hikers rescued from Pawtuckaway
Foreclosure relief clinic Oct. 1 in Derry
Food stamp loophole not a go in NH
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem