Home » News » Public Safety
Nashua YMCA lifeguard: ‘My training just kicked in and instincts took over’
Samantha Goy of Nashua was one of two lifeguards at the Nashua YMCA who saved the life of Kugarany ‘Baba’ Sribalaharan (at right) this past December when she went into cardiac arrest while swimming laps. (KIMBERLY HOUGHTON PHOTO)
But those fears were cast aside this past December when Goy, 18, realized a swimmer at the Nashua YMCA was in trouble. Goy, along with her fellow lifeguard Brenna Connolly, quickly stepped into action when a woman lost consciousness while swimming laps in the pool.
“My training just kicked in and instincts took over,” Goy said while attending an award ceremony Wednesday at Nashua High School South.
Hosted by American Medical Response, the award ceremony not only recognized Goy and Sribalaharan, but also honored more than 2,000 city high school students who participated in the first annual AMR CPR Challenge in December.
“You could potentially save someone’s life,” Stawasz told the crowd on Wednesday. “Congratulations to everybody.”
“This is such a valuable skill, and you should be commended for learning it,” agreed Dr. James Martin, medical director at St. Joseph Hospital in Nashua.
“This is just the start of your training,” said Justin Kates, emergency management director for the city.
“You guys might be the people to call 911 and begin CPR during an emergency. Already you are more prepared,” he told the students.
Organizers of the CPR challenge are hoping to expand the program next year to include students from Manchester high schools as well, Stawasz said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 3
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride