Home » News » Public Safety
Nashua YMCA lifeguard: ‘My training just kicked in and instincts took over’
Samantha Goy of Nashua was one of two lifeguards at the Nashua YMCA who saved the life of Kugarany ‘Baba’ Sribalaharan (at right) this past December when she went into cardiac arrest while swimming laps. (KIMBERLY HOUGHTON PHOTO)
But those fears were cast aside this past December when Goy, 18, realized a swimmer at the Nashua YMCA was in trouble. Goy, along with her fellow lifeguard Brenna Connolly, quickly stepped into action when a woman lost consciousness while swimming laps in the pool.
“My training just kicked in and instincts took over,” Goy said while attending an award ceremony Wednesday at Nashua High School South.
Hosted by American Medical Response, the award ceremony not only recognized Goy and Sribalaharan, but also honored more than 2,000 city high school students who participated in the first annual AMR CPR Challenge in December.
“You could potentially save someone’s life,” Stawasz told the crowd on Wednesday. “Congratulations to everybody.”
“This is such a valuable skill, and you should be commended for learning it,” agreed Dr. James Martin, medical director at St. Joseph Hospital in Nashua.
“This is just the start of your training,” said Justin Kates, emergency management director for the city.
“You guys might be the people to call 911 and begin CPR during an emergency. Already you are more prepared,” he told the students.
Organizers of the CPR challenge are hoping to expand the program next year to include students from Manchester high schools as well, Stawasz said.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 4
- One-alarm fire kept to chimney area of Bridgewater home - 0
- Nashua woman hurt in Pelham crash - 0
- Man hurt in fall from tree stand in Swanzey - 0
- Officials: Manchester's crime rate showing sizable decline - 0
- Spaulding Turnpike speed limit headed up from 55 to 65 - 0
- Chemical spill at Nashua North sends 6 to hospital - 0
- Enfield home destroyed by 3-alarm blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry Council revises tax cut goal - 0
- Police remove dogs, cats and pig from Derry home after report of strong odor - 0
- Former New London police chief settles with female accuser - 0
- Alleged parental kidnapper arraigned, ordered held on $250,000 cash bail - 0
- Reports: Celtics near completion of Rondo deal - 0
- Grid coach Cote, BG go their separate ways - 0
- Former owners of 'casualty' of Northern Pass file appeal - 0
- Holiday sales may recover with help of deep discounts - 0
- Wall Street has best 2-day gain since 2011 on Fed optimism - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Tom Chapin
BANANAS and NH's energy needs
Win tickets to see Linkin Park
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Power Plays: BANANAS and NH's energy needs
Police: Man endangered child after overdose