Home » News » Public Safety
Manchester police honor their own for dedicated service
Those recognized served with distinction, with dedication to the city and the department, and often acted without regard for their own personal safety, Police Chief David Mara said.
Citing his expertise, work ethic and professionalism, Mara called Capano a great addition to the MPD command staff. "Anyone who's ever worked with him knows what I'm talking about," Mara said.
"He is what the officer of the year should be," said Mara, citing Dupont's work ethic, exemplary service and tenacity.
Mayor Ted Gatsas congratulated the medal recipients and the department, citing exemplary service, public safety and continued efforts to curb drug use in Manchester.
Four officers receiving a Life Saving Medal were honored for responding July 21, 2013, to a distraught man threatening to jump off the Bridge Street Bridge. The man, a heroin addict, had recently overdosed and been released from the hospital. Mara applauded the quick actions of Sgt. Chris Goodnow, Officer Andrew Fleming, Officer Ian Fleming and Officer Clifford Elston in saving the man and pulling him back from the edge.
Officer Tony Battistelli, Officer Fred Gillis and Officer Brian Karoul received the Meritorious Service Medal for apprehending a man wanted in an armed robbery on Dec. 4, 2013. The man had his hands in his pockets and, after a struggle, arresting officers found the man had an open knife in one pocket as well as several bags of heroin.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate