Home » News » Public Safety
Manchester police honor their own for dedicated service
Those recognized served with distinction, with dedication to the city and the department, and often acted without regard for their own personal safety, Police Chief David Mara said.
Citing his expertise, work ethic and professionalism, Mara called Capano a great addition to the MPD command staff. "Anyone who's ever worked with him knows what I'm talking about," Mara said.
"He is what the officer of the year should be," said Mara, citing Dupont's work ethic, exemplary service and tenacity.
Mayor Ted Gatsas congratulated the medal recipients and the department, citing exemplary service, public safety and continued efforts to curb drug use in Manchester.
Four officers receiving a Life Saving Medal were honored for responding July 21, 2013, to a distraught man threatening to jump off the Bridge Street Bridge. The man, a heroin addict, had recently overdosed and been released from the hospital. Mara applauded the quick actions of Sgt. Chris Goodnow, Officer Andrew Fleming, Officer Ian Fleming and Officer Clifford Elston in saving the man and pulling him back from the edge.
Officer Tony Battistelli, Officer Fred Gillis and Officer Brian Karoul received the Meritorious Service Medal for apprehending a man wanted in an armed robbery on Dec. 4, 2013. The man had his hands in his pockets and, after a struggle, arresting officers found the man had an open knife in one pocket as well as several bags of heroin.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Durham fire chief considered for similar post in Natick, Mass. - 0
- Wood-drying kiln heavily damaged by fire - 0
- FinneRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
- After Keene riot, PSU campus on alert as party plan is spread by social media - 0
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Missing Mason man found dead - 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 1
- Heroin overdoses claim two in Laconia - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Cross Country: Moskowitz, Kimball primed for Meet of Champions battle - 0
- Salem coach Rich has seen playoff runs from both sidelines - 0
- Monarchs' Schultz leads by example - 0
- Manchester Marathon day to draw about 1,700 runners - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Londonderry vs. Salem is a playoff contest - 0
- Another View - Jeanne Shaheen: What it means to put New Hampshire first - 2
- Another View -- Scott Brown: To change direction, we need to change senators - 6
- Patricia LaFrance: For Hillsborough County Attorney - 1
- Misleading women: Does Kuster think they're bad at math? - 6
Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four