Home » News » Politics » Town Meetings
Hopkinton makes quick work of giving annual raises
The $17,968,362 operating budget sailed through by a vote of 222 to 42 after a brief deliberation concerning the move to make kindergarten a full day program.
"It's about a lot more than day care or the ability to get kids to school for a half-day," said Amanda Gilman.
After five years without a contract, the teachers and the school board will get a break from negotiating after voters approved a four-year contract.
But because of uncertainty with the federal Affordable Care Act, known as "Obamacare," the district and the teachers agreed to a "circuit breaker" clause that would give the district the ability to cut the contract from four years to three should health care costs spiral out of control, Cairns said.
Currently, the cost of insuring a family under the teachers' health-care plan is $21,000 per year, Cairns said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Another View -- Marco Rubio: Brown will stop the Obama agenda, put us on a better course - 4
- Another View - Sean O'Kane: Jeanne Shaheen is a friend of NH's tourism industry - 6
- Charles Arlinghaus: How the cult of celebrity destroys our political culture - 3
- Pat Buchanan: How do terror networks win their Western recruits? - 0
- Another View -- Marilinda Garcia: Rep. Ann Kuster has not been a help to NH senior citizens - 8
- Jonah Goldberg: Why narratives are more powerful than ideas - 0
- Pat Buchanan: People sense the country is falling apart - 2
- Celeste Clark : I saw Keene State College and the police try to prevent a riot - 2
- Deroy Murdock: Colorado shows the perils of mailing-in the election - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Shaheen, Brown supporters gather at final debate - 1
- Senate candidates sharply divided on Islamic threat, Ebola, Obamacare - 18
- Stocks up on GDP, earnings - 0
- Rocket blast damps Orbital as commercial space rush lures rivals - 0
- Former Farmington fire chief waives arraignment on theft charges - 0
- $50k bail for two charged with beating pizza delivery man - 0
- Latest round of riot arrests includes 5 Keene State students - 0
- 2 Manchester health service groups announce merger - 0
- FinneRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer
Senate battle attracts 17,000 TV ads in NH