Home » News » Public Safety
Pittsfield pizza dough company already rebuilding after fire
A firefighter continues cleanup work at the scene of a four-alarm fire in Pittsfield on Thursday night. The fire destroyed a pizza dough company that has clients across the country. (NANCY BEAN FOSTER/Union Leader Correspondent)
At the building on Barnstead Road, nearly 100 employees cover three shifts making pizza dough and American Flatbread pizzas ,which are sold by both grocery chains and mom-and-pop outfits throughout the country, said plant manager Brian Schneider.
It wasn't long before firefighters ran out of water from the hydrants and had to begin shuttling in water from a nearby river.
As firefighters worked through the night to contain the blaze and keep it from attacking the auto repair shop next door, their second-biggest challenge was the sub-zero temperatures.
One firefighter injured his arm when he slipped on the ice, but wasn't seriously hurt.
By morning, an excavator was brought in to shift the rubble from the building so firefighters could get at the flames under the wreckage.
Next door at Any Make Auto, LLC, owner Daryl Klitz said he wasn't thrilled that he couldn't open his shop on Friday, but he said he was grateful to firefighters for saving his building.
"Our focus is to get the company back up and running," he said. "But the most important thing is that nobody got hurt."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 0
- Heroin overdoses claim two in Laconia - 0
- Concrete chunk falls onto sidewalk from Elm Street building in Manchester - 0
- Traffic, parking complaints related to Hollis farm stand - 0
- Crews still working on replacing poles after accident - 0
- Woman, 56, struck by car in Laconia accident - 0
- Manchester police investigate two crashes involving two cruisers - 3
- Boy on scooter hits moving vehicle, taken to hospital - 0
- State police: Vermont man drove 111 mph on I-89 - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- School's out for voters - 0
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 6
- Brown, Shaheen run hardest where support is deepest - 0
- Jonathan E. Benedict - 0
- Drew Cline: GOP missed opportunities could mean trouble on Tuesday - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Demaryius Thomas is x-factor for Broncos' offense - 0
- College Football: Big Green ready for tussle with Harvard - 0
- UNH Notebook: Albany is much improved - 0
- MVP Bumgarner rides to the rescue for Giants' third World Series win in five years - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer