Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin?
Putin's third term as president of Russia will not expire until May 2018, and he has not ruled out running for another six-year term after that. Besides, Putin has a record of staying in power no matter when his titles expire.
But jokes such as that are easy to make when you are just a candidate. Clinton went on to lose the Democratic nomination to Barack Obama, and she became his first secretary of state.
Again, we have a joke - probably the funniest and most controversial joke she ever told in public.
At a chilly early-morning rally in Davenport, Iowa, during the kickoff of her presidential campaign in 2007, Clinton was asked by a voter what qualifications she had to handle tough leaders from countries such as Iran and North Korea.
I was there, and my own impression, as well as that of every person I interviewed after the event, was that Hillary was making a rather droll comment about Bill. It was funny and delivered with expert comic timing.
Clinton responded that she was not joking at all, that she was merely repeating the question she had been asked.
Clinton reversed course. Now, she said, she had been joking. "I thought I was funny," Clinton said. "You know, you guys keep telling me to lighten up, be funny. I get a little funny, and now I'm being psychoanalyzed."
In my next column, I will talk about conservative plans to make sure she never gets that chance in 2016.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Betsy McCaughey: More ways Washington squanders your money - 5
- Pat Buchanan: Let Congress vote on Iraq War III - 1
- Who is minding those who mind the store at NH State House? - 4
- Jonah Goldberg: America's selective Libertarianism - 6
- Charles Krauthammer: Why Hillary got it right - 11
- George Will: President Obama in a stew over inversions - 1
- Another View - Annette Carbonneau: Mental Health First Aid will save lives in NH - 0
- Another View -- Terie Norelli: Recognizing Women's Equality Day this month - 17
- Pat Buchanan: Is ISIS 'an existential threat?' - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Obama: World is 'appalled' by murder of NH's James Foley - 7
- Londonderry’s Moonlight Meadery halts Market Basket deliveries - 0
- GOP governor candidates Hemingway, Havenstein spar during morning radio debate - 0
- Nashua firefighters put out two fires; 14 people forced out in Palm Street blaze - 0
- Some sexual assault charges dismissed against Nashua caretaker - 0
- Nashua physician under investigation by Board of Medicine - 0
- Dover man indicted in sexual assault of young girl - 0
- Rochester man facing attempted murder charge - 0
- Second Manchester store pledges to stop selling spice - 0
ISIS beheads NH journalist
Market Basket: On the brink again
Hanover St. building has a buyer
Judge slams spice search
ISIS beheads NH journalist
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies