Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin?
Putin's third term as president of Russia will not expire until May 2018, and he has not ruled out running for another six-year term after that. Besides, Putin has a record of staying in power no matter when his titles expire.
But jokes such as that are easy to make when you are just a candidate. Clinton went on to lose the Democratic nomination to Barack Obama, and she became his first secretary of state.
Again, we have a joke - probably the funniest and most controversial joke she ever told in public.
At a chilly early-morning rally in Davenport, Iowa, during the kickoff of her presidential campaign in 2007, Clinton was asked by a voter what qualifications she had to handle tough leaders from countries such as Iran and North Korea.
I was there, and my own impression, as well as that of every person I interviewed after the event, was that Hillary was making a rather droll comment about Bill. It was funny and delivered with expert comic timing.
Clinton responded that she was not joking at all, that she was merely repeating the question she had been asked.
Clinton reversed course. Now, she said, she had been joking. "I thought I was funny," Clinton said. "You know, you guys keep telling me to lighten up, be funny. I get a little funny, and now I'm being psychoanalyzed."
In my next column, I will talk about conservative plans to make sure she never gets that chance in 2016.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- In NH, overhunting of RINOs is causing problems - 22
- Another View -- Shawn Jasper: It is time to get to work for the people of NH - 14
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Read these books, OK? - 1
- Another View - Debra and Marc Tice: Give families a say in hostage policy - 1
- Thomas Sowell: Politicians betray us by betraying our protectors - 1
- Another View -- Ross Gittell and Jeremy Hitchcock: By focusing on student success, NH community colleges prove their value - 1
- Another View -- David Scannell: A justified federal civil rights action in Manchester's schools - 6
- Pat Buchanan -- Jonathan Gruber, honest liberal - 4
- Jonah Goldberg: Thinking about torture - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Former New London police chief settles with female accuser - 0
- Alleged parental kidnapper arraigned, ordered held on $250,000 cash bail - 0
- Reports: Celtics near completion of Rondo deal - 0
- Grid coach Cote, BG go their separate ways - 0
- Former owners of 'casualty' of Northern Pass file appeal - 0
- Holiday sales may recover with help of deep discounts - 0
- Wall Street has best 2-day gain since 2011 on Fed optimism - 0
- State Employees Association declares impasse in bargaining - 2
- Shipyard to hire 715 in next year - 2
Enter to win tickets to see Tom Chapin
BANANAS and NH's energy needs
Win tickets to see Linkin Park
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Power Plays: BANANAS and NH's energy needs