Home » News » Public Safety
ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach
Fire Capt. Robert Landry said his department received a call about ten minutes before 1 a.m. Sunday from a person on shore who saw something unusual on the lake.
"The bystander said all he would see was lights coming from the water, so he figured someone was in the water," Landry said.
Rescue crews responded and found that the ATV had sunk in about eight feet of water, apparently while attempted to "skim" over open water, a feat sometimes accomplished by snowmobile riders who skim the water between patches of ice.
Nobody was found at the scene, leading to the theory that the operator of the sunken vehicle hitched a ride with a companion and fled the scene. Laconia Cold Water Rescue Team members searched the water for anyone who might have ended up in the water but nobody was found.
New Hampshire Fish and Game officers have taken over the investigation. Landry said he expects they will try to raise the sunken ATV to determine the owner through its vehicle identification numbers.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Weare police chief on leave amid domestic violence probe - 1
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- Heating unit cause of blaze in Manchester - 0
- Mother of Bedford student hit by car says safety should come first on school grounds - 5
- New Farmington police chief continues to build relationships in the community he’s served for 14 years - 0
- Keene police officer on bicycle struck by car - 0
- Antidote carried by NH first responders a life-saver for heroin overdoses - 0
- In neglect cases, indigent parents may lose legal help - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPS driver charged in hit-and-run at Merrimack business - 0
- Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children - 1
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Bella, a chihuahua mix, is still missing in Auburn - 0
- Nashua man charged in domestic knife threat - 0
- Manchester man detained on Nashua rape charges involving child - 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua