Home » News » Public Safety
UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza
A vehicle is loaded onto a tow truck as police personnel watch after a crash at the toll plaza in Bedford Sunday evening. (Mark Bolton/Union Leader)
State police dispatchers said a crash with many injuries was called in just before 6 p.m. Sunday on the Everett Turnpike southbound, near the Bedford toll plaza.
According to state police, a 2007 gray Chevy Suburban operated by David Sullivan, 52, of Sherborn, Mass., was approaching the #5 EZ Pass toll booth lane when he drove straight into a concrete structure that divides the lanes. After hitting the concrete structure the SUV continued through the toll booth, hitting a second concrete barrier.
Injured in the crash were Sullivan and six passengers, all children ranging in age between 10 and 16.
Bedford Fire Lt. Mark Shatney said the occupants were taken to Elliot Hospital and Catholic Medical Center in Manchester with non-life threatening injuries. Merrimack and Manchester dispatched ambulances to the scene, along with Bedford.
The Department of Transportation sent out alerts that the left toll lanes northbound and southbound were closed at 6:15 p.m. Sunday. Southbound traffic was restricted to three lanes for about an hour while the vehicle was removed.
As of 7:10 p.m., emergency crews had cleared the scene and all lanes were reopened.
The accident remains under investigation by State Police. Sullivan is currently facing a charge of reckless driving, though additional charges could follow. Sullivan will be arraigned April 10 in Merrimack Circuit Court.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 1
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 2
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate