Home » News » Public Safety
UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza
A vehicle is loaded onto a tow truck as police personnel watch after a crash at the toll plaza in Bedford Sunday evening. (Mark Bolton/Union Leader)
State police dispatchers said a crash with many injuries was called in just before 6 p.m. Sunday on the Everett Turnpike southbound, near the Bedford toll plaza.
According to state police, a 2007 gray Chevy Suburban operated by David Sullivan, 52, of Sherborn, Mass., was approaching the #5 EZ Pass toll booth lane when he drove straight into a concrete structure that divides the lanes. After hitting the concrete structure the SUV continued through the toll booth, hitting a second concrete barrier.
Injured in the crash were Sullivan and six passengers, all children ranging in age between 10 and 16.
Bedford Fire Lt. Mark Shatney said the occupants were taken to Elliot Hospital and Catholic Medical Center in Manchester with non-life threatening injuries. Merrimack and Manchester dispatched ambulances to the scene, along with Bedford.
The Department of Transportation sent out alerts that the left toll lanes northbound and southbound were closed at 6:15 p.m. Sunday. Southbound traffic was restricted to three lanes for about an hour while the vehicle was removed.
As of 7:10 p.m., emergency crews had cleared the scene and all lanes were reopened.
The accident remains under investigation by State Police. Sullivan is currently facing a charge of reckless driving, though additional charges could follow. Sullivan will be arraigned April 10 in Merrimack Circuit Court.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- First Coffee with a Cop session goes smoothly - 1
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Upcoming selectmen's meeting stirring controversy among Bow's firefighters - 2
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Keene ordinance against synthetic drugs seems to be working - 0
- Plea deal for woman who allegedly supplied drug hours before Hampton double fatal - 1
- Merrimack rollover sends Mass. driver to hospital - 0
- Suit claims Hudson violates rights of panhandlers - 4
- Driver hits Rochester monument, rolls car and is trapped - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- AG asked to investigate Hemingway campaign donations after complaint filed by Grantham attorney with Sununu ties - 2
- Former Derry town administrator guilty of indecent exposure - 1
- Meredith man faces arson charge in Landmark Inn fire in Laconia - 0
- Three teens sent to area hospitals after crash on Blackwater Road at Rochester-Dover border - 0
- Good Samaritans track down man accused of stealing purse - 0
- Concord man charged in downtown stabbing - 0
- GPS leads police to truck; vehicle breaks lead to arrest - 1
- Traffic signal stop leads to drug arrest in Merrimack - 0
- Brian’s Ride Home benefits Afghanistan veteran - 0
Market Basket: Analysts point to debt
Poll: Brown makes gains on Sen. Shaheen