Home » News » Public Safety
UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza
A vehicle is loaded onto a tow truck as police personnel watch after a crash at the toll plaza in Bedford Sunday evening. (Mark Bolton/Union Leader)
State police dispatchers said a crash with many injuries was called in just before 6 p.m. Sunday on the Everett Turnpike southbound, near the Bedford toll plaza.
According to state police, a 2007 gray Chevy Suburban operated by David Sullivan, 52, of Sherborn, Mass., was approaching the #5 EZ Pass toll booth lane when he drove straight into a concrete structure that divides the lanes. After hitting the concrete structure the SUV continued through the toll booth, hitting a second concrete barrier.
Injured in the crash were Sullivan and six passengers, all children ranging in age between 10 and 16.
Bedford Fire Lt. Mark Shatney said the occupants were taken to Elliot Hospital and Catholic Medical Center in Manchester with non-life threatening injuries. Merrimack and Manchester dispatched ambulances to the scene, along with Bedford.
The Department of Transportation sent out alerts that the left toll lanes northbound and southbound were closed at 6:15 p.m. Sunday. Southbound traffic was restricted to three lanes for about an hour while the vehicle was removed.
As of 7:10 p.m., emergency crews had cleared the scene and all lanes were reopened.
The accident remains under investigation by State Police. Sullivan is currently facing a charge of reckless driving, though additional charges could follow. Sullivan will be arraigned April 10 in Merrimack Circuit Court.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 3
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 2
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
- Salem family ldisplaced by house fire - 0
- Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health - 17
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jailed man faces new charge for allegedly contacting witness - 0
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 4
- Nashua man arrested in Brookline stabbing - 0
- Cumberland Farms robbed; third store hit this month in Rochester - 0
- E-cigarettes find a market in NH - 1
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 3
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 4
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 1
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents
LNG plant put 'on hold'