Home » News » Public Safety
UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza
A vehicle is loaded onto a tow truck as police personnel watch after a crash at the toll plaza in Bedford Sunday evening. (Mark Bolton/Union Leader)
State police dispatchers said a crash with many injuries was called in just before 6 p.m. Sunday on the Everett Turnpike southbound, near the Bedford toll plaza.
According to state police, a 2007 gray Chevy Suburban operated by David Sullivan, 52, of Sherborn, Mass., was approaching the #5 EZ Pass toll booth lane when he drove straight into a concrete structure that divides the lanes. After hitting the concrete structure the SUV continued through the toll booth, hitting a second concrete barrier.
Injured in the crash were Sullivan and six passengers, all children ranging in age between 10 and 16.
Bedford Fire Lt. Mark Shatney said the occupants were taken to Elliot Hospital and Catholic Medical Center in Manchester with non-life threatening injuries. Merrimack and Manchester dispatched ambulances to the scene, along with Bedford.
The Department of Transportation sent out alerts that the left toll lanes northbound and southbound were closed at 6:15 p.m. Sunday. Southbound traffic was restricted to three lanes for about an hour while the vehicle was removed.
As of 7:10 p.m., emergency crews had cleared the scene and all lanes were reopened.
The accident remains under investigation by State Police. Sullivan is currently facing a charge of reckless driving, though additional charges could follow. Sullivan will be arraigned April 10 in Merrimack Circuit Court.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
- Commission honors seven for contributions to state firefighter training - 0
- Lost hikers found safe in Gilsum - 1
- Woman thrown from horse, injured - 0
- Stove ash blamed for Manchester garage fire - 0
- Derry Battalion Chief calls firefighter son a 'hero' for rescuing two boys from Hood Pond - 1
- Epsom trucker, 65, killed in I-93 crash in Salem - 0
- Two taken to hospital after suffering burns in Wolfeboro house fire - 0
- Crews on scene of accident on I-93 in Salem - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 0
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 0
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 0
- Unrest erupts after grand jury decides against charges in Ferguson, Mo., shooting - 3
- Malkin, Crosby foil Bruins in overtime - 0
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Tough task for NH budget writers
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Teacher 'thrilled' at being reinstated
Paul, Christie share lead in primary poll