Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Sinners and saints of the Irish
I just hope no one ends up like Mary O'Melia.
One 1904 Manchester Mirror account about a woman brought into court for drunkenness read: "Mrs. Leonard's hair was white with the snows of many winters, and a single tooth loomed from her bare gums as a lonely reminder of teeth that had gone before ..."
Seems like a perfect way to celebrate Saint Patrick's Day to me.
Time for safe sports
Last year I wrote about the great work of Dr. James Vailas, Laura Decoster and their team at the Safe Sports Network, a nonprofit that provides free sports physicals and injury care for young athletes in Greater Manchester as well as certified athletic trainers for local high schools.
Physicals are given on a first-come, first-served basis to athletes 11 years old and above. Pre-registration is suggested and available by filling out a form at www.nhmi.net.
About 50 Central High School athletes will take part in the Athletes Saving Athletes program designed to teach students how to recognize the signs and symptoms of sports-related injuries and medical conditions so they can help their fellow athletes.
NH365.ORG Event of the Week
Tomorrow's Science on Tap at the Shaskeen Pub may have attendees thinking twice about sipping from their pint glasses. This month's topic is "The War Against Viruses and Bacteria," focusing on the way scientists have been paying attention and battling the microbes we all live with.
The Science on Tap series is a program of the SEE Science Center, held the second Tuesday of each month.
For more information on this and other events around our city and state, visit www.NH365.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal urban police policies won't quell riots - 0
- Another View -- Frank Guinta: I am uniquely qualified to represent NH in Congress - 11
- Deroy Murdock: The indictment of Rick Perry is bizarre and unfounded - 0
- Another View - Marc Champion: A strong terror policy would cure Obama's golf woes - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama confuses the TV world with the real one - 2
- George Will: In defense of the defenders - 0
- Roger Simon: Is Ferguson the future? - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 1
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate